In this article, we are going to review a sliding compound miter saw DWS779 from DeWalt. We’ll discuss complete features, operation and pros, cons.
Do you know sliding compound miter saw technology is patented by which company?
It’s the Stanley and Decker, the parent organization of DeWalt.
So no doubt, Dewalt must have got the best knowledge in it.
My whole point of saying this is, the DEWALT DWS779 saw you’re going to buy is made by the original patent holder.
Not to mention, DeWalt (trademarked as DᴇWALT) is an American brand of intensity apparatuses and hand devices for the development and assembling of carpentry ventures.
Come, let’s know a bit more about DEWALT dws779 and it’s specifications:
DEWALT DWS779 Review
- AMPs : 15
- No Load Speed : 3,800 RPM
- Blade Diameter : 12″
- Arbor Size : 5/8″ OR 1 IN
- Can Cut: PVC, Nylon, Plastic, Wood
- Max Cut Thickness: 6.5 in
- Max Miter Cut – Left : 50 Deg
- Max Miter Cut – Right : 60 Deg
- Max Depth Cut at 45 Deg: 6.5 in
- Max Depth Cut at 90 Deg: 6.5 in
If you are looking for a safe, reliable, easy-to-adjust, and powerful, cutting-edge tool for cutting your workpieces, DeWalt DWS779 sliding miter saw would be a recommendation backed up with thousands of happy customers.
- Overall Design: A pretty traditional and standard design for the cutting blade to be allowed tilting in both directions. Now, this ensures that the precision cuts without a chance of adjustment. It’s quite accurate right out of the box.
- The Back Fence: The fence at the back has been uniquely designed to allow you to cut a workpiece up to 2×16″ dimensional lumber at a 90° angle and 2×12 at 45 degrees angle. Isn’t that great?
- Motor: Powerful motor of 15 amperes with 3800 rpm vibrates less to ensure the overall miter saw setup is not impacted. the belt driven motor allows to cut deeper.
- Blade: the 12” 32T rip blade makes cutting task easier and efficient with a cutline blade positioning system for cutting-work. Well, you can’t use a dado blade in it. Remember, you have to spend additional $50 to buy 60T cross-cut blade.
- Dust Collection: “With an inbuilt dust collection mechanism, DWS779 saves you from cleaning over 75% of the dust created during the cutting task” – That’s what DeWalt says. But the dust collection system not upto the mark as per our test.
- Dimensions: The tool overall height (20”), length (32.77”) and width (19.05”). The product weight is 68 lbs which is well enough for providing stability.
Easily adjustable miter saw angles make help in cutting up to 50 degrees on the left and about 60 degrees to the right.
Additionally, the miter saw has superbly amazing cutting capabilities that can cut at 90 degrees and 45 degrees up to 6.75 inches depth.
The bevel scale on the hand along with the detent plate with 10 angle stops, make the angle adjustments easier and accurate for when used for cutting workpieces such as crown molding every time.
All you need is to adjust your workpiece at 15 degrees an additional of 45 degrees, ensures the workpiece is cut accurately.
Precisely, it can hit most angles.
The DWS-779 comes with a few accessories as a part of the package when purchased, including a Miter Saw, Carbide Blade, Blade Wrench, and the most important User Guide.
While the above are default accessories are available by default, some of the recommended accessories to be considered very important are:
- DWS Miter Crown Stops
- Mounting Brackets
- Work-piece support/stop
- Miter Stand Extension Support
- DEWALT Clamp for track saw
- Replacement Miter saw right and left fence etc.
Cutting-tools can result in serious injuries causing trauma of losing a life. More than 30000 saw accidents occur yearly as per govt data.
Thus, DWS779 being an approved and certified equipment by Canadian Standards Association, comes with enough safety measures to avoid any such incidents with a User Manual.
The DWS779 comes with a little button on the handle which you have to switch before pulling the trigger. I liked this added safety feature.
Well, Here are some quick tips for sawing safety:
- Clear The work Area before starting the cutting work.
- Use Face & Eye-Protection to ensure that the dust generated during cutting does not fall into your eyes. Plus, wear gloves.
- Blade Guard Refrain from using the tool without the blade guard. This can cause serious injuries.
- Ensure the stability of the piece: an unstable wood piece can increase the risk of injury. Tighten the knobs and clamp handles well in advance before initiating the task.
- Keep an eye on the position of your hand: do not keep your hands close to the blade while cutting the edges.
In a nutshell, ensure to have thoroughly read through the safety tips in the manual while handling the machine.
DEWALT Miter Saw is a perfect blade wrench that has an internal dust-bag. You only need to remove styrofoam from the packing for making it accessible for working. Also, it consists of a regular slide-in electric range, which makes it easy to install. You are ready to start the saw when you plug in the saw and pull the lock pin. After that, you only need standard electrical connections for cutting the wood.
You can make manual adjustments according to DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review. You can drive the saw by releasing the head of the machine. The handle of miter saw is effortless to carry. Thus, you can cut the plywood with a hassle-free approach. Place the miter saw on the best side of electrical connections as it is quite a heavy machine. It is very straightforward to set the Dewalt Sliding Miter Saw with accuracy. You can also connect with the DEWALT service provider for the installation.
DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw is a most precise and professional sawing machine. It helps in cutting the plywood in the most accurate and straight direction. You should check the electrical specifications of the DEWALT Sliding Miter Saw here:
- The weight of this saw machine is 67 pounds. The rotating speed of DEWALT miter saw is 3800 rpm. Thus, you can cut the wood from different directions.
- As its a belt driven saw, it’s less noisy. However, it requires more maintenance than its traditional counterparts.
- DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review claims that it uses a corded power source. Thus, it becomes effortless to adjust the saw near electrical connections. Perhaps, it has quite large 6ft cord length.
- The motor of DEWALT miter saw runs with a speed of 15 amperes. You can cut a decent piece of the plywood with this accurate speed.
- It consumes around 1800 Watt (15 amp X 120V) while running.
DEWALT DWS779 Miter Saw is a very accurate machine. Coming to the price, this saw machine offers fantastic accuracy under a very less price.
The cost is $399, which is a decent price if we consider its features. Generally, sliding compound miter saws costs between $300 and $700. The model was selling at $349 years before. DeWalt has increased the price by $50, recently. However, it’s still a good deal!
The DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw comes with a three-year warranty from the date of invoice in which the manufacturers promise to repair and replace any part of the appliance that becomes conked or faulty. Additionally, there is a 90 days money-back guarantee and 1 year free service. However, it does not cover consumable goods such as knife blades, screwdriver bits, etc.
- Easy vertical cutting due to the belt-drive
- Spindle Lock
- Accurate Cuts
- The slide is smooth as butter
- Keyed Blade Change for efficient blade replacements.
- Comes with a vertical material clamp of 12 inches.
- Carbide Blade so as to cut hard and thick materials fastly without binding.
- Not the best at gathering the residue.
- It doesn’t have a laser.
- Directions are not definite. So recognize what you are doing.
- Little space to change the cutting edge
DEWALT DWS779 From Users Mouth
When it comes to accurate angle cut and versatility DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw is always a perfect solution for both professionals and hobbyists. The majority of the buyers and users have given positive reviews for the product.
A lot of positive reviews have been made focusing on the build quality, finish, and smooth, precise, trouble-free performance. Perfect calibration, motor rpm, sufficient wattage are some of the most appreciated features of DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw, which operates perfectly at 15amp circuit.
Many of the positive reviewers suggest that the best feature is the shadow-line LED that shows you exactly where the blade is going to land. The saw has calibrated stops for all-important angles, which makes it more convenient for professionals and worth all the investments. Not only this, the saw blade is made up of aluminum but also cuts wood, which is easy and fun.
However, there is a bit issue with the cutline system of DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw if it is sunny and bright outside. In that situation, it can be hard to see the shadow as the sun will overpower the LED light, though this can be fixed by rotating the saw so that the sun angle is behind the saw. There are other reviews regarding the heaviness of DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw. So if you are planning to move this, consider a mobile work stand or a miter saw station. Also, the saw is pretty big, so you will need plenty of space to store it when not in use.
Should you buy the DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw? The set up of DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw is very straightforward, though it does require some assembly, the manual is well-written and comprehensive deleting your issues with putting things together. The biggest advantage is versatility; it can be used for different applications without worrying about compatibility and other irrelevant kinds of stuff. Safety features are pretty standard; a transparent blade guard allows you to supervise and control the cuts all the time, making it handy for inexperienced buyers.